Terrace Station was the home of Sir John and Rose, Lady Hall. Sir John was a runholder, politician and democratic reformer remembered for the New Zealand Parliamentary campaign for women’s suffrage making New Zealand the first country where women could vote. The homestead was the first piece of domestic architecture in Canterbury to have a category 1 registration from Heritage NZ. The informal garden is full of magnificent trees underplanted with woodland perennials and bulbs. Visitors can hear some of the histories, and view family possessions, including horse-drawn vehicles, veteran, and vintage cars.
Cotons Cottage was built from rammed clay by Bentley Coton in 1864. It was rebuilt in 1977-78 by local volunteer labour after it fell into disrepair. Cotons Cottage has been an important part of the Hororata community for 150 years and is a category two heritage building. Badly damaged in 2010 by the Canterbury Earthquakes it was rebuilt by Heritage NZ and is furnished with period furniture. The museum has good displays of local historical items and information.
The Glentunnel Museum contains an extensive collection of items recording the history of the area which has seen much rural industrialism, particularly the pottery and brickworks. The museum has an extensive library of books written about the district and the history of local servicemen who fought in WWI and WWII. Walk in the footsteps of the pioneers on the Glentunnel Millennium Walkway which follows the route of an abandoned mine tramway across farmland to the mouth of a former coal mine. This walkway is only open at certain times of the year, contact the Glentunnel Museum for further information.
The first St Johns was built in 1875, a small wooden church which was on the site of the stone church. When Sir John Hall died in 1907, he left money for a more substantial church to be built in memory of his wife, Rose, Lady Hall. The St Johns Stone Church is a category two listed Heritage building however it was significantly damaged in the 2010 earthquakes. There is much local history in these two buildings and also the graveyard. Visitors are welcomed with a local speaker to tell stories to pre-booked groups.
Homebush was the first run taken up in 1851 by William and John Deans who settled in the Christchurch suburb of Riccarton in 1843. The initial run of 33,000 acres is considerably reduced but has all the original farm buildings which are classified as category I with Heritage NZ. The Homebush museum features displays covering the full spectrum of country life from horse-drawn machinery, early petrol-driven engines, light industrial, military, sporting, and domestic artifacts.
Steventon (‘Broomielaw’) was the New Zealand home of Lady Barker from 1865 to 1868. Two of her best-known books, Station Life and Station Amusements in New Zealand are about the property. Tucked into the hills and surrounded by mature trees this listed historic house has retained many of its original features and the grounds are an oasis of birdsong.
The name ‘Gunyah’, Aborigine for little hut or shelter, belies the grandeur of this property. Built in 1912 for the son of former Prime Minister, Sir John Hall, the building’s exceptional calibre is endorsed by its Heritage listing. It is also recognized by the National Business Review as one of the country’s top one hundred houses for its historical significance and Arts and Crafts Movement architecture. The Gunyah Homestead offers exclusive accommodation and dining, self-catering units, weddings, and garden tours (by appointment).
Rockwood, in the Canterbury foothills, is a historical homestead set within a beautiful woodland garden that includes English trees and rhododendrons. It is bordered by 100 acres of native bush and the Rockwood Stream and also features an 1850s cob house, family graves, and a bushwalk with abundant native birdlife. The Homestead has been recently redecorated in a classical style and is open by arrangement for garden/house tours. Rockwood also has a Shearers Hut for rent.
Exploring Washpen Falls takes you through an ancient volcano full of caves, waterfalls, Maori history, wonderful geology & botany, including a magnificent concentration of Southern Rata. There are stunning views in all directions. Situated within a private farm, it is an excellent two-hour adventure, usually accompanied by beautiful native birdsong.
The Point historic cob homestead was built in 1866 by the Richards family who has farmed the property since 1862. The surrounding 4-hectare arboretum was begun 150 years ago and the large rambling garden has been landscaped with paths meandering amounts mature trees, spring-flowering bulbs, azaleas, and rhododendrons. Newly established is a heritage tree walk which takes 15 minutes.
Commissioned to power Christchurch, construction of the Lake Coleridge Power Station began in 1911 with the scheme officially opened in November 1914. It was the Government’s first venture into hydroelectric power and a massive engineering feat in its day, paving the way for the country’s hydroelectric future. Today the power scheme is owned by Trustpower and is still a significant contributor to the national grid. Information panels installed for the Power Station’s Centenary tell you more about the power scheme and its history.