Hororata Glow Festival Saturday 8th May 2021
The Hororata GLOW Festival is all go for Saturday 8th May!
The hot air balloon Night Glow will again light up the sky, be amazed as these giant balloons glow in unison to music*. Prior to the Night Glow performance, people will be able to walk inside a giant cold inflated hot air balloon as well as interact with the balloon crews.
New for 2021 a spectacular lighting effects show with DJ Craig Shaw cranking the tunes. This will follow the Night Glow.
Surrounding the hot air balloons will be a magical festival where everything will GLOW!
- Walk inside a cold inflated hot air balloon 3.00pm – 5.00pm. Free activity. This was popular last event, arrive early so not miss out.
- Learn the Science behind the balloons’ with Canterbury University. Free activity.
- Talk to the balloonists and get to see their baskets up close.
- Kids join the Glow Circus – learn to juggle and have a go at other circus tricks! Free activity. From 5pm
- Mitre 10 Mega Warm-up cube.
- UV Zone with artist Heidi Coppard – UV face painting and UV graffiti wall.
- Try Small Bore shooting with the Hororata Rifle Club in their rifle range*
- Fairy Tree
- Garden games with NewZengland.
- Enjoy the sampling food and wine in the Barn.
- Browse the stalls and stock your pantries for winter!
- Heaps of games and activities for all in the Event Hire glowing fairground area, including a parents ‘chill-out zone’!
- With a huge range of food at all price ranges, your taste buds are in for a treat – click here for list.
- Live music with the Selwyn Community Choir, Sam Bambery and The Bluesettes and Chilton House.
*Note about Small Bore Shooting – this is done in a controlled indoor range using .22 calibre single shot target rifles supplied by the Hororata Rifle Club, all shooting is supervised by range officers. Smallbore Target Rifle Shooting is a sport which is enjoyed by male and female, young and old, able-bodied and people with disabilities.
*The Night Glow could happen anytime from 5.30pm, there is heaps happening in the lead up to this so we recommend arriving early.
DJ Craig Shaw
From opening for Fatboy Slim and Synthony to Funk n RnB sets at Electric Ave, New Years Eve Tech house sets at Rhythm n Alps and Disco Funk sets closing the Nostalgia Festival, this local DJ legend has left a trail of memories in multiple music genres in across many scenes. World famous for marathon vinyl sets at Civil n Naval as one half of DiRTy Ca$H, Craig is one of New Zealand’s longest-serving and musically diverse DJ’s.
Sam Bambery and The Bluesettes
Christchurch based blues fanatic Sam Bambery has always had his foot in the blues. The colour, the music and the lifestyle. Inspired by artists the likes of Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Muddy Waters and The Rolling Stones, he delivers a set of howling electric guitar and groovy vocals. Bambery’s set soundtracks the scene for any blues fan to groove, cry, sulk or look cool at all times. His backing band consists of the wonderful Sam White on guitar, Josh Wright on bass and Mark Hamilton on drums. Together they are Sam Bambery and The Bluesettes!
Chilton House is five piece covers band hailing from Christchurch who have been playing together at a myriad of events and locations around the South Island since 2019. Their music prowess and extensive song rapporteur satisfies all listening ears and is guaranteed to get you dancing and singing out loud. There’s something for everyone in their range, no matter what decade you like to party to. The band is made up of Nikos – drummer extraordinaire, Jason – the funkiest bass player around, Auston and Mark – guitar and backing vocal dynamic duo and Hororata’s very own, very talented Holly Kimber as lead singer.